Maybe remove-hook should remove all trace of localness?

From: Marshall, Simon
Subject: Maybe remove-hook should remove all trace of localness?
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 14:24:52 +0100

I noticed a package that checks the value of a local hook to see if it
is nil, meaning empty.
Unfortunately that is wrong because, currently, a local hook is (t) if
it is empty.
Only a non-local hook is nil if it is empty.

To see this, try:

(let (gotcha)
  (add-hook 'gotcha 'foo nil t)
  (remove-hook 'gotcha 'foo t)
  gotcha)
=> (t)

One solution is to fix the package, but perhaps a cleaner solution all
round would be to make remove-hook behave in a less surprising way?  And
also behave consistently, in that an add-hook/remove-hook pair would
leave the hook in the same state when the add/remove is local, as it
currently does when the add/remove is non-local.

I think this would do it, though perhaps there should be a
kill-local-hook for completeness.
Is it better?  I think so.  Does it have nasty side-effects?  Not sure.

diff -c /rvcarma/marshals/ftp/emacs-21.1.90/lisp/subr.el.\~1\~
/rvcarma/marshals/ftp/emacs-21.1.90/lisp/subr.el
*** /rvcarma/marshals/ftp/emacs-21.1.90/lisp/subr.el.~1~        Thu Aug
--- /rvcarma/marshals/ftp/emacs-21.1.90/lisp/subr.el    Mon Apr  8
14:11:28 2002
***************
*** 776,782 ****
      ;;               (not (member (cons 'not function) hook-value)))
      ;;  (push (cons 'not function) hook-value))
      ;; Set the actual variable
!     (if local (set hook hook-value) (set-default hook hook-value))))

  (defun add-to-list (list-var element &optional append)
    "Add to the value of LIST-VAR the element ELEMENT if it isn't there
yet.
--- 776,786 ----
      ;;               (not (member (cons 'not function) hook-value)))
      ;;  (push (cons 'not function) hook-value))
      ;; Set the actual variable
!     (if (not local)
!       (set-default hook hook-value)
!       (if (equal hook-value '(t))
!         (kill-local-variable hook)
!       (set hook hook-value)))))

  (defun add-to-list (list-var element &optional append)
    "Add to the value of LIST-VAR the element ELEMENT if it isn't there
yet.

Diff finished at Mon Apr  8 14:12:23