recursive load case in openp

From: Colin Walters
Subject: recursive load case in openp
Date: 07 Apr 2002 22:55:42 -0400

Hi,

I found a bug (or rather my init files did) in the current CVS.  It
appears to have been introduced by the following change:

2002-03-29  Eli Zaretskii  <address@hidden>

        * lread.c (openp, Fload): Encode the file name before passing it
        to `stat', `access', and `emacs_open'.
        (openp): GCPRO the encoded file name.  Don't recompute Lisp
        strings unnecessarily.

The problem is reproducible on my system by starting emacs like:

emacs -q --no-site-file --eval '(set-language-environment "utf-8")'

What seems to be happening is that openp eventually calls
encode_coding_string, which eventually calls temp_output_buffer_setup,
which then runs the hook variable `temp-buffer-setup-hook', whose value
defaults to the single symbol `help-mode-setup'.  Therefore, since
help-mode is autoloaded, emacs will attempt to load it, and enter Fload,
and therefore reenter openp, try to load help-mode again...

The following patch fixes the problem on my system; Does anyone have any
objections to fixing the problem in this way?