Re: UDP/DNS in Emacs

From: Per Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: UDP/DNS in Emacs
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 14:34:51 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> My point is that basing this on the sender's ISP is a bad idea, one
> that unduly discriminates people who don't have much choice but to use
> whatever ISPs are available to them.

It is their problem.  Why should I suffer for it?

My problem is that mail from certain ISP's are much more likely to be
spam than mail from other ISP's.  In fact, 95% of the mail I get which
is not caught by one of my "whitelist" filters (i.e. mail from people
I know, mail to "secret" adresses, or mail to mailingslists) are spam.

The remaining mail go to either a mail.junk folder (if they matches my
rather poor blacklist rules) I skim the summary monthly for potential
non-spam, and maybe find one every third month.  The rest go to a
misc.misc folder I skim the summary daily for the occational non-spam
(maybe there are one every other day), and junk the rest.  Obviously a
few non-spam messages gets junked as well.

If Gnus can improve my blacklist rules, I will have to spend less time
skimming the misc.misc folder, and junk less messages by accident.

I do not see why "fairness" to people who believe they have no other
choise than using an incompetent ISP should force me to lose relevant
mail.

> What does my ISP have got to do with the content of my messages?
> Why should my mail get labeled as spam just because my ISP's server
> happened to be caught red-handed by ORBS and its ilk at some point?

ORBS is dead, and was in any case a database of current open relays.
To get out of the database, all you had to close it.  Open relayes was
(and probably still is) the most efficient way for spammers to
propagate their messages, and blocking based on open relays was (and
probably still is) the most efficient way to block spam.