Re: Misformatted replies to UTF-8 messages

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Misformatted replies to UTF-8 messages
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 18:21:55 +0200 (IST)

This is off the top of my head, before I had time to step through the
code.

On Mon, 25 Feb 2002, ShengHuo ZHU wrote:

> I received a bug report in Emacs 21.1.95 which is because
> find-coding-systems-region prefer ctext-no-compositions to mule-utf-8,
> e.g.  the following lines return ctext-no-compositions.
>
>   (car (find-coding-systems-string
>        (concat (char-to-string 2276) (char-to-string 2367))))

Why is this regarded as a bug?  UTF-8 is generally very low on the
priority list of the possible encodings, so IIRC the user needs to invoke
prefer-coding-system to get UTF.  If she doesn't, almost any other
encoding will be preferred to UTF-8.

Is this some language environment that is already supposed to prefer
UTF-8?  If so, could the user who saw the problem please submit a full
bug  report with the necessary info supplied by "M-x report-emacs-bug"?

> I think it has been fixed in the main branch. Could the fix be ported
> to EMACS_21_1_RC?

If the problem doesn't exist in CVS head, it's by sheer luck, because
IIRC the definition of ctext-no-compositions is identical in both
branches.