Re: Should invisible imply intangible?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Should invisible imply intangible?
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 17:09:49 -0700 (MST)

    Invisible but tangible appealed to me for handling Rmail ignorable
    headers using inbox format.

That seems like the wrong tool for the job.

      On the one hand I wanted to make these
    headers invisible to the User but on the other hand I want to
    add/remove text behind the scenes, so to speak, to the headers to
    handle attributes and labels.

You could bind inhibit-point-motion-hooks to non-nil in these
commands.  That is simple, and gives much better results than making
them tangible for the user.

    My gut feel is that having the three choices of invisible, intangible
    and hidden (which is both invisible and intangible) is the best
    solution.

My gut feeling is the opposite.  Do you have any specific situations
to show me that my gut feeling is wrong?