Re: Bug Report (Feature request?) etags (GNU Emacs 21.1)

From: Sven Utcke
Subject: Re: Bug Report (Feature request?) etags (GNU Emacs 21.1)
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 16:02:34 +0100 (CET)

>    That is backwards.  It should only tag zz.y, not zz.c.
>
>    The reason is that zz.y may have tags that are not reflected in zz.c.
>
> Argh.  Right.
>                                                 It will also be possible
>           to use `etags xx.web xx.c' and etags will only tag xx.c with tags
>           pointing to xx.web.
>
>    That is reasonable in this case because xx.web is in a format that
>    can't be processed by etags.
>
> So etags should distinguish the two cases.  I'd like to find a more
> linear logic, however.

Personally, I do not think we should burden ourselves with this at
all.  I certainly would not give a .web file to etags, and _not_
giving .web files to etags is easily automated :-) So I _believe_ that
the right thing to do would be to create references for all files
given to etags, and to obey #line.  So if someone gives a .y and .c
file to etags, it _should_ create duplicate references to the .y file.

Of course one could optionally have etags remove duplicate entries, or
(maybe even better), if both the .y and .c file are given than etags
could take this as a hint to not obey #line for this particular .c
file, but I believe the best approach for now might be to simply
generate the duplicate references and be done...

Sven
--
 _  __                     The Cognitive Systems Group
| |/ /___  __ _ ___                                       University of Hamburg
| ' </ _ \/ _` (_-<  phone:    +49 (0)40 42883-2576      Vogt-Koelln-Strasse 30
|_|\_\___/\__, /__/  fax  :    +49 (0)40 42883-2572             D-22527 Hamburg
          |___/ http://kogs-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/~utcke/home.html