Re: Feature suggestion: server sockets

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Feature suggestion: server sockets
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 21:33:34 -0700 (MST)

    Are server sockets only useful if they replace emacsserver?

I am not sure, but that clearly seems to be the most interesting
way to use them, and people proposed using them that way.

It looks like SYSVIPC is not needed.  There are just two
systems where which Emacs believes SYSVIPC is available
but not sockets: USG 5.3, and Xenix.  (USG 5.4 does have
sockets.)  There are two others where Emacs says you can't
put sockets in the file system: ISC 2.2 and SCO4.  (SCO 5
can have sockets.)

So I guess we can forget about SYSVIPC support
and use only sockets now.