Re: mode-line-inactive and face inheritance

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: mode-line-inactive and face inheritance
Date: 18 Feb 2002 20:44:59 +0100

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden> writes:

> Reminds me that I have a minor hack in faces.el that allows
> slightly more structured specs for faces, so that you can move the
> `:inherit mode-line' outside of any display-specific thing.

I don't quite understand -- the rewritten initialization of
the mode-line-inactive face still has multiple :inherit tags.

> It needs to be cleaned up and documented before it's ready for
> commit, but I'm not even sure if there's any interest in such
> a feature.

Looing at the two rewritten face specs doesn't persuade me this
is desireable in general (the partial structuring doesn't really
make things clearer to me).  But for the :inherit tag, I can see it
could be useful.

What happens if the `all' spec contains a tag which is also in the
specific section? E.g. if all gives one foreground and the specific
section another -- which one wins?  (I would say the specific
section).