Re: Two new entries in menu-bar's Tools menu

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Two new entries in menu-bar's Tools menu
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 14:56:00 -0700 (MST)

    >     Also note, that flyspell-mode is not customizable option.
    >
    > That seems like a bug to me.  Could you make it customizable?

    It is already an option for text-mode-hook, like turn-on-auto-fill
    is.

turn-on-auto-fill is a function, not an option, so I am confused
and not sure what you meant to say.

    It is very conceptually very similar to auto-fill-mode as it only
    makes sense in text-mode derivatives.

Auto Fill mode can be used in programming language modes; it is not
for Text mode derivatives only.  Maybe Flyspell mode makes sense in
some other modes, too.  But you are right that they are similar cases
and both mainly used in text modes.

So I think the Options menu should probably have an item that controls
use of Flyspell mode in Text derivatives, just as it has one that
controls use of Auto Full in Text derivatives.

    Hmm.. Should toggle-text-mode-auto-fill be made a customize option?
    And maybe rename it to global-auto-fill-mode?  It could be implemented
    with custom :get and :set methods.

Maybe, but I wonder: is it possible to provide a more general
customization facility for controlling minor mode enablement
in various major modes?  That might provide a very clean way
to customize where you do or don't want Auto Fill, or Flyspell,
or whatever.