Re: emacs dumps core using gnus

From: Pavel Janík
Subject: Re: emacs dumps core using gnus
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 10:35:54 +0100

   From: "Eli Zaretskii" <address@hidden>
   Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 20:50:49 +0200

   > > Dave Love posted to g.e.bugs that the Emacs configure script issues a
   > > message warning the user to carefully check the version of the ungif
   > > library before linking it in when building Emacs. I think that post
   > > is realted to this issue.
   >
   > AFAIU, Pavel is trying to change Emacs so that it doesn't crash, even
   > with the buggy libungif.  I think this is a better way, since a
   > message printed by the configure script can go unnoticed among all the
   > other messages it prints.

The status right now is: I have two GIF files which can be shown with
display from ImageMagick (other tools works too), but Emacs 21.1 (and RC
and HEAD too) will crash after

     emacs -q -f auto-image-file-mode picture.gif

Right now, I have two such files. Yesterday, I have digged through
bug-gnu-emacs mail archives on fencepost, but there is only one GIF file,
breaksemacs.gif, but it works perfectly with 21.1 and RC (but was reported
to break Emacs before). Eli promised to send me three similar files
tomorrow. If you have saved some weird GIF or you have GIF which can
SIGSEGV Emacs (and we told that it is bug in libungif version), please,
send it to me!
--
Pavel Janík

echo Mhbqnrnes Stbjr | tr "[a-y]" "[b-z]"
                  -- Someone, somewhere...