Re: I'm sorry that I tried to insert a DOS file

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: I'm sorry that I tried to insert a DOS file
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 20:12:56 -0700 (MST)

    I really don't understand why INSERTING a file (or another buffer)
    into a buffer should change the coding system of the target buffer --
    if the ONLY difference is in the EOL format of the inserted file.

    In that case, the EOL format of the source file should simply be
    ignored (i.e. converted to the EOL format of the target buffer)!

That seems plausible to me.