Re: list-colors-display shows only one color

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: list-colors-display shows only one color
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 07:41:01 +0200 (IST)

On Mon, 11 Feb 2002, Andreas Schwab wrote:

> |> That's the bug, right there: x-display-color-cells should report the
> |> true number of colors supported by the display.  If it reports 1, many
> |> features in color support will start to break down, list-colors-display
> |> being the least of them.
>
> Hmm, (x-display-color-cells) returns 256 for me, although I'm working on
> a TrueColor 24-bit display.  man DisplayCells says:
>
>        The DisplayCells macro returns the number of entries in
>        the default colormap.

I'm not sure I understand what are you saying.  Are you saying that 256
is an incorrect value?  On X, x-display-color-cells returns what
DisplayCells returns, so Emacs isn't ``guilty'' ;-)

> xcolors can display all colors from rgb.txt simultanously, as it seems.

The number of colors you have on a 24-bit display is much larger than
what rgb.txt shows, but the number of colors that are available in the
colormap is typically smaller, so 256 doesn't sound very wrong to me.