Re: inactive-mode-line face?

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: inactive-mode-line face?
Date: 09 Feb 2002 21:07:06 +0100

> > I just added a new mode-line-inactive face for non-selected windows.
>
> Did it really compile without any warnings and work for you?
Definitely!  I compiled and tested it on redhat 6.2 (x86 with X).

> I find that I need the additional changes below to make it compile
> and work.  (I installed these changes.)
Thanks Eli.

> Well, one problem is that all the windows become inactive when you are
> in the minibuffer.  That is, as soon as you type "M-x" or "C-x C-f",
> all the mode lines become displayed in the inactive face.  This might
> be regarded as a feature, but perhaps users would like to know what
> window is active even when they are typing at the minibuffer prompt.

Personally, I like to know that the minibuffer window is active.

But I can see that it might be useful to know ... however, it is not
different from how Emacs behaves today (where all windows use the same
face for the mode line).

> Also, I wonder whether the default for this face should really be
> different from the mode-line face.  Perhaps we want that by default
> this feature is invisible; if so, the default face definitions should
> just inherit from the mode-line face.

I think there should be some visible difference - but I don't know
exactly what it should be...  the current default isn't optimal.