Re: File name completion with non-ascii filenames

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: File name completion with non-ascii filenames
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 21:28:18 -0700 (MST)

    There's one more complication with decoding directory entries returned by
    readdir: if the partial file name against which we are matching the
    directory entries uses mule-unicode-* characters, but
    file-name-coding-system decodes the directory entries into some other
    charset, like latin-2, we will fail to match when the original code would
    succeed.

This seems like an unlikely and peculiar case, right?  If the user has
selected some other charset, isn't it anomalous to have mule-unicode-*
characters in the minibuffer?