Re: String syntax ambiguity

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: String syntax ambiguity
Date: 09 Jan 2002 00:21:19 +0000

 >     I still think a hash read syntax for strings would be better than a
 >     backwards-incompatible kludge.

 > This would be extremely undesirable.  It would be ugly

I don't see why, more than other such syntax.

 > and could not be read *at all* by old versions of Emacs.

That sounds like an argument against _any_ new reader features,
e.g. #x in 21.1.  Anyhow, I only expected it to be used in special
cases.  I think it's better if you got an obvious error in an old
version rather than potentially just doing the wrong thing in a pretty
obscure way.