Re: Proposal: Remap interactive commands via keymaps

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Proposal: Remap interactive commands via keymaps
Date: 06 Jan 2002 22:33:03 +0100

Jason Rumney <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:
>
> > One of the goals was that all interactive commands should be remapped,
> > so the proper place to do the actual remapping would be in
> > call-interactively.
> >
> > This means that besides the `truely' interactive commands which the user
> > enters via normal key bindings or via M-x,
>
> I don't think this is the goal. The goal is to replace key bindings
> that use that command, but it shouldn't affect M-x.

I disagree!  The scope of this feature is wider than just being an
alternative to substitute-key-definition!

Many commands don't have key bindings - and I want to be able to
remap any interactive command - whether bound to a key or not!

Why should C-k and M-x kill-line be treated differently ?
[ok as I reported, they are treated differently, because the
pre-command-hook isn't run with this-command = kill-line when
M-x is used.  But I consider that to be an error!]