Re: Status of my GTK efforts.

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: Status of my GTK efforts.
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 00:03:52 +0100 (CET)

>     I'm no expert on XIM, but GDK does a lot of that internally.  It sets its
> own
>     InstantiateCallback, I am not sure how this would interract with Emacs XIM
>     handling.
>
> Could you please investigate this enough so that you can tell me
> whether there is a shortcoming in GTK or GDK in this area?

No, it is just a matter of code duplication, some things Emacs does
is done automatically in GTK.  For instance, widgets that handles text
input (GtkText, GtkEntry) handles XIM by themselves.  But Emacs could not
use these widgets for its framse, they are too limited.

>     > Could you explain in more detail what it means to filter WM_protocols,
>     > and what it means to compress enter/leave events?
>
>     When GTK gets an Enter notify event, it peeks at the next event and if
> there is
>     one and it is a Leave notify, it throws those two events away.  The same
> is
>     done if first a Leave notify event is followed by an Enter notify. As
> this is
>     done in GTK, only GTK widgets should be affected.
>
> Does this cause a problem for Emacs?  Should I ask the GTK developers
> to add a way to turn this off?

It is just an optimization with no problems for Emacs as I see it.

        Jan D.