Re: X performance suffers under emacs 21.1.1

From: Gerd Moellmann
Subject: Re: X performance suffers under emacs 21.1.1
Date: 30 Nov 2001 11:18:09 +0100

> One idea is to record the time at which each image was last displayed,
> and get rid of any image that has not been displayed in 10 minutes.
> I don't know if this is really feasible in the code as it is written.
> Gerd, what do you think?  Any advice?

Incidentally, what you describe is already implemented and exactly the
way you proposed: clear_image_cache is called from redisplay,
indirectly, when it clears the face cache, and clears images that
haven't been displayed for 30 minutes.

Maybe it suffices if that time is simply made shorter.  Or maybe one
could implement another idea: record where the image was displayed,
and remove images from the cache when the buffer they were displayed
in is killed (which wouldn't capture the case when a buffer is reused;
I'm not sure what Gnus does, perhaps someone else knows.).

Daniel, could you please try with lower values for
image-cache-eviction-delay, and see if that suffices?