menu items out of reach (Re: Outline-minor-mode and the menu bar)

From: Karl Eichwalder
Subject: menu items out of reach (Re: Outline-minor-mode and the menu bar)
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 07:34:08 +0100

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden> writes:

> I guess for outline-mode, using three menubar entries might be OK,
> but for outline-minor-mode, it eats up so much of the menubar
> real-estate that I often can't even reach the Help menu any more.

1. Yes, at the moment it's too hungry :)

2. It must not happen that any item is out of reach for mousing.
Depending on the toolkit there are widget to make items available even
if they don't fit.  GTK can offer arrows to flip tabs (maybe, this will
work of menus, too):

    | File | Tools | Item-1 | Item-2 | <- | => |

Click "->" and the appearence is (File is gone):

    | Tools | Item-1 | Item-2 | Help | <= | -> |

Another possibility is to use a second row -- the user may want to
decide what fits best for him.

Anyway, outline must not eat three positions.

--
address@hidden (work) / address@hidden (home):              |
http://www.suse.de/~ke/                                  |      ,__o