Re: URL syntax (was: Re: Tramp, "[]" in file names, and file-expand-wild

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: URL syntax (was: Re: Tramp, "[]" in file names, and file-expand-wildcards)
Date: 29 Nov 2001 17:56:29 +0000

 > I don't think we would _have_ to escape non-url characters if we are
 > dealing with something written by the user.  We would have to have some
 > code to sanitize them before sending them to the various protocol loaders
 > though.

I think there are a number of problems, including (presumably)
chucking the current behaviour of `//' and `/~', at least.

There is still the issue that this was proposed on the basis that it's
somehow standard, but the standard doesn't cover the cases for which
it was wanted, and the url package implements types which aren't in
the standard.

URLs are handled (inconsistently) in various places in Emacs that I
can't remember off-hand, but including things like Gnus and ffap.

[The last thing I want is Per's suggestion of being at all clever with
URLs.]