Error on startup with X-windows only: Wrong type argument: arrayp, nil

From: Emmanuel Kowalski
Subject: Error on startup with X-windows only: Wrong type argument: arrayp, nil
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 16:14:48 +0100

Hello,

Since about two days ago, I haven't been able to make the CVS version of
emacs run with windowing system ; the error first occured during the make
phase and was the same as that reported in the `How to debug problems
during temacs' thread on the list (first mail by Simon
Josefson<address@hidden>)

newer)...
> Wrong type argument: arrayp, nil
> make[1]: *** [emacs] Error 255
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/jas/src/emacs/src'
> make: *** [src] Error 2

This was solved by using `make bootstrap'. However, the resulting emacs
only works with -nw :

        root:emacs/ # ./src/emacs -nw

but
        root:emacs/ # ./src/emacs
        root:emacs/ # Wrong type argument: arrayp, nil

This happens both on a Redhat 7.0 and a RedHat 7.2 machine; here's the
info
displayed by emacs on startup with -nw

        GNU Emacs 21.1.50.5 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
         of 2001-11-29 on chardonnay.frog-parrot.net

(on the RH 7.2 machine)

        GNU Emacs 21.1.50.2 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
         of 2001-11-29 on merlot.frog-parrot.net

(on the RH 7.0 machine)

I'd be happy for any suggestions on how to debug / solve this problem (as
the previous poster, I have no experience debugging emacs with GDB...)

Best,

        Emmanuel Kowalski