Re: table.el

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: table.el
Date: 26 Nov 2001 10:19:33 +0900

One big problem I noticed is that `table-time-before-update' is used all
the time, even if doesn't have to be.

If I'm typing in the middle of a table cell, then the characters are
displayed a long time after I type them, which is very annoying -- but I
can get nice behavior by simply setting `table-time-before-update' to 0.

However, setting it to 0 causes bad behavior when some more expensive
operation needs to be done, for instance, when it needs to make a table
cell wider/taller because I've typed past the edge.

What would be nice is if there were _two_ delay variables, one for `simple'
operations (e.g., inserting text where no change in the table size is
required), and one for `expensive' operations (inserting text when a size
change _is_ required).  Perhaps the former is not necessary at all, and
could be simply assumed to be 0 (but I suppose that it might still be
necessary for very slow systems).

-Miles
--
`Cars give people wonderful freedom and increase their opportunities.
 But they also destroy the environment, to an extent so drastic that