Re: euro symbol

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: euro symbol
Date: 25 Nov 2001 18:30:38 +0000

 SM> Assuming the internal representation is unified,

Well, it isn't, and apparently isn't planned to be for all cases.

 SM> is there any need for such a thing ?

At least in principle, no, but you need to modify a quail function if
you want quail to pay attention to
`standard-translation-table-for-decode'.  Unifying on encoding is
obviously not enough if you're using the input method to enter a
search string, for instance.

I don't see any reason to prevent/discourage people using the built-in
ISO charsets, as currently, for convenience and efficiency.  I suspect
charset fragmentation is actually a non-issue for most users.

 SM> Or are you talking about input-methods for charsets that we would
 SM> want to keep non-unified ?

Not necessarily.

 SM> PS: How about allowing multiple input methods active at the same time ?
 SM>     For example, one for latin chars and another for math symbols.

I haven't thought about it, but I'd guess it would be messy to
implement generally in Quail and might be confusing to use.  It might
be worth trying.  Perhaps the Mule list is the place to ask.