Tramp and auto-compression-mode and load order

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Tramp and auto-compression-mode and load order
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 12:04:12 +0100

Tramp is similar to ange-ftp, but transfers the files through a shell
connection (base64 encoded via mimencode or uuencoded), rather than
via ftp.  It can also do the file transfer via scp or a similar program.

It works to load Tramp first, then turn on auto-compression-mode
later.  But it does not work to turn on auto-compression-mode first,
then load Tramp.

This appears to be because of the order of entries in
file-name-handler-alist.

In Tramp, insert-file-contents is implemented by using some mechanism
to fetch the remote file to a local temp file (for example, by running
scp), then insert-file-contents is invoked on the local temp file.

I have done a check: if the filename ends with ".gz", then I make
sure that the local temp file name also ends with ".gz".  Then,
insert-file-contents on the local temp file will do the right thing:
auto-compression-mode kicks in and unzips the file.

Have you got any advice on what could be done so that Tramp works
even if it is loaded after auto-compression-mode has been turned on?
(Clearly, frobbing the name of the temp file is the wrong way to
approach this.  I only did it to find out what's going on.)

kai
--
Simplification good!  Oversimplification bad!  (Larry Wall)