Re: Customize fringe widths

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Customize fringe widths
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 03:56:29 -0700 (MST)

    > Because the existing code explicitly makes an effort to ensure that the
    > fringe (left+right together) occupies an integral number of columns.

    Right, I forgot about this.  I guess we have no choice, then.

I suspect that the reason for this is that Emacs insists on measuring
frame widths in integral numbers of "columns".  Frame sizes, like the
indentation functions, should be generalized to allow nonintegral
numbers.  Then it should be trivial to allow fringe widths that don't
add up to an integral number of columns.