Re: about instrumenting macro calls

From: sen_ml
Subject: Re: about instrumenting macro calls
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 23:35:59 +0900 (JST)

From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 23:11:14 -0700 (MST)

> Gerd has stepped down as Emacs maintainer, so it is unlikely he would
> want to work on this.  He still helps a little, so I am asking him to
> work on display bugs that nobody else can fix efficiently.

Ok, I've removed him from the list of addresses I'm sending this to.

> I would still like to see this feature get deeloped, and if someone
> writes clean code to do this, I would be glad to install it.
> I've cc'd the list of people interested in Emacs development.

To recap the discussion, I believe we were in the midst of discussing
the following sort of mechanism for specifying information for edebug
in a macro definition:

  (defmacro my-macro (arg1 arg2 ...)
    "This is a document string."
    (edebug-spec [this here is our macro specification])
    ([this here is our macro body]))

I haven't looked into how this might be implemented -- I presume this
would be a C-level and not Emacs Lisp-level thing.  Perhaps a
modification to something in src/eval.c?

Perhaps there are other ideas for how to associate macro specification
information w/ a macro definition...