Re: setnu-mode and Emacs 21.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: setnu-mode and Emacs 21.
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 10:31:13 +0200 (IST)

On Thu, 15 Nov 2001, Juanma Barranquero wrote:

> Of course I don't think overlays
> are bad, either. But if I cannot put a few thousands of them in a
> buffer, I have no use for them

Come on! that's _got_ to be an exaggeration!  Otherwise, how come
overlays were used since their introduction in Emacs 19, on machines that
are much slower than what we have today, and no one ever said they were
useless?

Perhaps they were not designed for having thousands of them, after all?

> and there's nothing inherent in the
> concept of overlay that precludes having lots of them... is an
> implementation issue.

Please suggest a better implementation, then.  It's not useful to argue
about whether the current one is bad or not unless we have an alternative
to consider.