Re: Q: something like autoload for coding-systems?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Q: something like autoload for coding-systems?
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 21:52:51 -0700 (MST)

    >>  Is it possible to identify just a part of the coding system info
    >>  which is sufficient for find-coding-systems-region, have that part
    >>  always loaded, and autoload the rest?

    It's possible but not worth doing that because, then, the
    rest part is very small as I wrote below.
    >>  Is it possible to identify just a part of the coding system info
    >>  which is sufficient for find-coding-systems-region, have that part
    >>  always loaded, and autoload the rest?

    It's possible but not worth doing that because, then, the
    rest part is very small as I wrote below.

It seems to me that for coding systems for Chinese
it should be possible to record *which* codes are valid
in much less space than it takes to record the *meanings* of all
these valid codes.  Isn't that so?

      The biggest part of coding system is a
    mapping table, and without mapping table, we can't have a
    complete char-coding-system-table.

I am suggesting that we should be able to recognize the use of these
coding systems *without* having the whole mapping table.