Re: Non-descriptive error-message

From: Pavel Janík
Subject: Re: Non-descriptive error-message
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 22:42:46 +0100

   From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
   Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2001 23:00:52 -0700 (MST)

   >     You nothing to evaluate in the *scratch* buffer, but try C-j now.
   >     Emacs will tell you "End of file during parsing". I think "No
expression to
   >     evaluate" or something similar is better in this case.
   >
   > If you want to implement that, please go ahead.

I do not think I can do that properly without your help :-(

The problem is that in lisp-mode.el:465 read is trying to read from
narrowed-region which does not contain an expression:

      (setq expr (read (current-buffer)))

How do I properly catch an error here and report it to user in the same way
read signals "End of file during parsing" error?

Can anyone help me with this?
--
Pavel Janík

An innovation a day keeps the monopolist away.
                  -- Alan Cox in linux-kernel