Re: Highlighting rectangles?

From: Ehud Karni
Subject: Re: Highlighting rectangles?
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 11:57:19 +0200

On Sun, 4 Nov 2001 23:01:01 -0700 (MST), Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
wrote:

>     Yes, to work on my "region" they must be called only through my
>     interfacing functions.
>
> You could set the Emacs region in addition to your own special region,
> so that if an ordinary Emacs command does get called, it will do
> something at least half-way reasonable.

Yes, I thought about it and will implement it (not too hard) but there
problems: 1. The point is not always at one end of the marked area
(e.g. when marking lines). 2. In my concept you can worked on the
marked area even when it is in another buffer (It is most useful for
copying).

I'm thinking about a more complete solution: changing call-interactively
to recognize my marks and use them if they are set before falling back
to use the mark and point (may be even use the temp buffer trick for
block marked area [rectangle]).

Ehud.

--
 Ehud Karni     Mivtach - Simon  Insurance   /"\
 Tel: +972-3-7966-561 Fax: +972-3-7966-667   \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign