Re: (type graphic)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: (type graphic)
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 18:32:19 +0200

> From: Miles Bader <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 09:34:28 +0900 (JST)
>
> the X terminals I've tested all seem to support the basic 8 colors + dim
> versions of those colors, whereas my impression from looking at the code
> for the PC is that it supports the basic 8 colors + /bright/ versions of
> them...

Actually, they are the same colors, it's just the names that are
different.  It so happens that the light* colors defined on pc-win.el
are what you call ``basic 8 colors'', as you can see from the comments
to each color definition, where I wrote the name of the X color from
rgb.txt that has the same visual effect.  The original PC names are
kept in pc-win.el and w32-fns.el because PC users are used to those
names.  (That was the reason for the warning in tty-colors.el about
colors missing from color-name-rgb-alist.)

I don't know about xterm (I'd guess that its set of colors is
user-definable via X resources), but at least as far as Unix consoles
that use a PC display are concerned, I'd expect them all to support
the same colors, since the underlying hardware is identical.  (Of
course, it is possible to reprogram the VGA to use a different set of
colors in text mode, but I doubt that any Unix system actually does
that.)