Re: New names for VC local version backups

From: Andre Spiegel
Subject: Re: New names for VC local version backups
Date: 26 Oct 2000 12:12:40 +0200

address@hidden (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> The obvious alternative is to use versions/foo.c/1.42.  Yet nobody
> mentioned it.  Is it bad for some obvious reason, and I'm just failing
> to see it?

Well, that would make it impossible to visit the file "1.42" and get
the modes correct.  Seriously, I do like the idea of the file.~rev~
naming scheme, which is not even my idea but has been there ever since
VC existed I believe.  The problem that this doesn't work under MS-DOS
is real, but to dismiss a logical feature because of that would be
giving quite a lot of power to Redmond, WA, wouldn't it?

If it really is a problem that the files show up in the working
directory, one alternative would be to create a "VC" subdirectory and
put _only_ automatic version backups in there, using the above naming
scheme.  In this case, we wouldn't even need a separate scheme to
distinguish automatic from manual version backups (the extra `.' that
Stefan suggested).  But isn't such a subdirectory a rather heavy new
feature?