Re: mode-line-inverse-video

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: mode-line-inverse-video
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 09:58:22 +0900 (JST)

In the same vein, BTW, is the `inverse-video' variable, which seems to
`work', but in a way that's pretty useless -- it inverts all output to
the tty [again, this is a tty-only variable], but without actually
inverting the background (which is not supported by most ttys anyway).

I have a feeling that this variable was used mostly for display hacks to
work around the lack of faces on ttys, e.g., ispell used to highlight
the current word by doing some kind of gross tty output hack (bypassing
the emacs redisplay code!).  Can anyone confirm my suspicions?

I agree with Noah -- a major version change is the time do get rid of
dead wood like this.

-Miles