[Dvdrtools-users] Re: packet writing for DVD-R? -- DVD-RAM (stock kerne

From: Bryan J. Smith
Subject: [Dvdrtools-users] Re: packet writing for DVD-R? -- DVD-RAM (stock kernel) or DVD+RW (patch) ...
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 15:23:34 -0500 (EST)

Quoting Felix Maibaum <address@hidden>:
> Hi!
> does anyone know if there is a working DVD-R packet writing
> solution for linux? I wouold like to just use the recorder as
> a disk drive.
> thanks for any pointers

DVD-R is a write once-only media, so you cannot "packet write."

DVD-RAM, DVD-RW and DVD+RW media support "packet writing."

While I heard Pioneer contracted someone to write kernel, packet write support
for DVD-RW, I have yet to find a patch.

For DVD+RW, there are the DVD+RW Tools listed on the DVDRTools site.  Of course
the only DVD+RW drive that supports recording DVD-R as well as DVD+RW is from
Sony.

Which leaves DVD-RAM.  Packet writing to DVD-RAM has been supported in Linux
since 1998.  I know, I still have a drive that does.  DVD-RAM media also has
many other advantages, such as media longevity and reliability.  Unfortunately
DVD-RAM is far less compatible with players and slower in general.  But it's
still very popular for rewritable optical archiving, hence why it was first.  3G
DVD-RAM drives also record DVD-R and 4G DVD-RAM drives can also do DVD-RW.
ProDVD supports DVD-R recording on 3G/4G DVD-RAM drives.

--
Bryan J. Smith     (suffix-free title for your protection)
mailto:address@hidden             http://www.thebs.org