[Dvdrtools-users] Re: New page: DVD Standards Comparison by DriveGene

From: Bryan J. Smith
Subject: [Dvdrtools-users] Re: New page: DVD Standards Comparison by DriveGeneration -- you're right, I'm wrong ...
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 12:20:57 -0500 (EST)

Quoting Andy Polyakov <address@hidden>:
> > Corrections, comments, etc... solicited and greatly appreciated.
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^ As already mentioned DVD+R[W] recording velocity of 2.4x
> is CLV, *not* CAV! Recording velocity of 2.4x is maintained uniform
> across the whole media. How do I know? I've instrumented my drive! As
> for 4xDVD+R. I can't speak for SONY DRU500A, but HP dvd300i/NEC
> ND1100A units record even 4xDVD+R in CLV, i.e. 4x velocity is maintained
> across the whole media, not just outer edge.

You're right, I'm wrong.  I don't know why I this didn't dawn on me before
because CAV would explain the 6x DVD+RW read performance.

So, DVD+RW supports both CLV and CAV, whereas DVD-RW only supports CLV for
reading as well.  Thanx, I'll update my chart.

--
Bryan J. Smith  (suffix-free title for your protection)
mailto:address@hidden          http://www.thebs.org