[Dvdrtools-users] Re: Plextor PX-504A -- my bias

From: Electrolife Studios
Subject: [Dvdrtools-users] Re: Plextor PX-504A -- my bias
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 17:16:45 -0500

Some very interesting points. I begin to wonder what made Sony jump ship from the DVD Forum in 1998. So if +R/RW is merely marketing hype by Sony/Philips to push their format onto PC OEMs.. whatÂ’s the real point here. Are the technical differences between +R/RW and -R/RW really that important or is it more of a market share and profit margin deal? Also when you look at companies like Taiyo Yuden who are only making -R media right now, you also have to wonder. Typically media/chemical companies aren't one to play political games so I wonder if it's only a matter of time before they start manufacturing +R media as well. Personally I am only interested in future compatibility of making large amounts of -R or +R data and DVD movie backups. Basically looking at an archival project so RW really doesn't do much for me.

matt