RE: [Dvdrtools-users] Min hardware requirement

From: Scott Prive
Subject: RE: [Dvdrtools-users] Min hardware requirement
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 09:37:12 -0500

Not sure what you mean exactly.

If you want to "export" the DVD-R drive for others on the LAN to use, you are
talking about read-only access. There are no minimum requirements to speak of
as long as the data gets fed to the burner fast enough for your recorder speed.

If you want to make the drive available for WRITES, you can't simply make the
device available to NFS and expect that to activate the "recording". That would
be nice feature :-) and I think DVD-RAM might support it, but not a write-once
media like DVD-R. You want people to copy (NFS, scp.. whatever) their files to
some temporary directory on the burning workstation. Then they will need to
shell login to the box, and start the recording manually, same as if you were
doing it.

Note that there are Webmin interfaces to `cdrecord'. Those interfaces *may*
work with dvdrtools (with some hacking?). In this case, users still need to
copy the files local to the box, then start the recording process (using the
GUI, and again... if it works with dvdrecord).

Technically, you don't have to copy files locally to burn. You just need to
make sure whatever system is serving the files to your burning workstation,
(and the burning system itself) can keep up with 2 megabytes/second transfers
over the network. Recorders only have ~ 2 megabyte hardware cache, so a small
dip in transfer speed can ruin your recording.

If you do this over a network, you will need to test your performance.

Hope this helps,
Scott