[Duplicity-talk] permission error running from cron.hourly

From: Brendan Carroll
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] permission error running from cron.hourly
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2023 10:25:28 -0500

Good morning, I am running Ubuntu Server 22.04. I am attempting to run
duplicity hourly from cron.hourly. I get the following error in the
duplicity log:

WARNING 1
. Attempt of put Nr. 1 failed. PermissionError: Permission denied

The text of the script in cron.hourly is:
/usr/bin/duplicity --full-if-older-than 1M --log-file
/home/brendan/backup.log  --name media-backup /storage file:///backup

The permissions on the source and destination are:
drwxrwxr-x   6 root family 4.0K Nov 10 16:55 storage
drwxrwxr-x   3 root root   564K Nov 16 10:20 backup

>From research, cron.hourly runs under root permissions, so I think my
source/destination permissions should be good. The destination drive is
the same size as the source drive, so space is not an issue.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
--

Thanks