[Duplicity-talk] inc backup if nothing changed

From: duplicity-talk
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] inc backup if nothing changed
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 23:29:23 +0200

Hi,

I want to re-raise a question that wasn't finally answered in https://bugs.launchpad.net/duplicity/+bug/768481.

I have the same use case as described in the bug above.
In my case I running a backup of my photo collection (folder structured by year). I am running one duplicity backup per year. By nature former years changing rarely, but they my change if I revisit some photos and add tags etc. Therefore I want to make sure all changes get into a backup regularly (weekly).

As described even if nothing has changed in a folder a incremental backup is created and a few bytes are stored.

I am unsure about the logic in duplicity. Why is there a small sigtar even if nothing has been changed?

The workaround to do a --dry-run and check for changes may work, but it requires a 2nd run though the filesystem if there are changes to do the backup. With thousands of files and hundreds of GB per year, this is not a lightweight job.
It would be great if this can be avoided.

Is there any technical reason why this incremental back need to get pushed even if not files was changed?
What impact could have an option like "--skip-empty-backup"?

Thanks
  Thomas