[Duplicity-talk] Version 2.0.0 Progress

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Version 2.0.0 Progress
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2023 09:35:15 -0500

Intro

This will serve to keep track of major changes coming down the pike for v2.0 duplicity.  I'll update with any new changes

I have made a new project called duplicity-py3. It passes all the tests we have. I’m working on more comprehensive testing now.

Timeline

At this point we have released 3 alpha and 3 beta versions with almost minimal from testers. I’d like to get the testing done before the release if at all possible.

The main branch has been merged into duplicity-py3, and main has is now in a release freeze. When we release 2.0, I’ll just replace main's repo with the duplicity-py3 repo and be done with it, down to just one project again. Between now and then I have a tentative release schedule:

daterelease
07/10RC0
07/17RC1
07/24RC2
07/272.0.0

Python 3.8+ only from now on

Deprecated options

NOTE 1: For --old-filenames and --short-filenames, only the option itself and the ability to create old and short filenames will be removed. We will maintain the ability to read them for the foreseeable future.

NOTE 2: The --time-separator option will be deprecated only for full or incremental backups, but allowed for non-backup commands since it is necessary to read any backups created with a nonstandard time separator character. We will not create any new files with time separators.

Changed Options

Remove replicate command

Remove rdiffdir command

Remove s3_boto_backend.py