Re: [Duplicity-talk] Failures on backup jobs from cron

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Failures on backup jobs from cron
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2023 09:37:33 -0600

On Wed, Mar 8, 2023 at 5:58 AM edgar.soldin--- via Duplicity-talk <duplicity-talk@nongnu.org> wrote:
On 07.03.2023 23:03, Russell Clemings wrote:
>     3) On the cron job, make sure all paths are set properly in crontab, and make sure you don't have duplicate duplicity instances:
>
>          $ find /usr -name duplicity -type f
>          $ find /usr -name duplicity -type d
>

> I do get multiple versions, but I've always included the full path in my script, e.g.:
>
> crontab: /home/newton/duplicity-0.8.12.1612/s3backup/backup.sh
> backup.sh: /home/newton/duplicity-0.8.12.1612/bin/duplicity

that is irrelevant. installing python apps places parts of them in system python library folders by default. having multiple versions may lead to one version using modules from an incompatible version, hence to errors.

>          If you have more than one response from above, uninstall all, and reinstall the one you want.
>

> I'm kind of afraid to uninstall anything until I can get a replacement working. Right now 0.8.12.1612 still works from the command line.

well, if that one works. remove all of the other ones and fix the cron issue instead?

I'd remove them all and start over with 1.2.2.  It has fewer errors than 0.8.12 which is a few years old.

You can download a versioned tarball of 1.2.2 from here.  The one you got was for developers.

...Ken