Re: [Duplicity-talk] sigtar file: AccessDenied error using S3 Glacier af

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] sigtar file: AccessDenied error using S3 Glacier after upgrade to 0.8.23
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2022 11:16:36 +0200

hey Bernhard,

On 15.07.2022 07:06, Bernhard Patsch via Duplicity-talk wrote:
Hello,

I use duplicity with an S3 Glacier bucket from Scaleway. After upgrading to
0.8.23 and enabling boto3, the backup fails with the following error:

% /usr/bin/duplicity -v3 --full-if-older-than 1M --s3-use-new-style --s3-use-glacier
--s3-endpoint-url https://s3.nl-ams.scw.cloud <https://s3.nl-ams.scw.cloud>
--s3-region-name nl-ams --asynchronous-upload --s3-multipart-chunk-size 10
--metadata-sync-mode partial --exclude-device-files --include=/etc --include=/data/Pictures
'--exclude=**' / boto3+s3://<bucket-name>/duplicity

Synchronizing remote metadata to local cache...
 >>> Copying duplicity-full-signatures.20220611T132657Z.sigtar.gpg to local
cache.
 >>> Attempt of get Nr. 1 failed. ClientError: An error occurred (AccessDenied) when
calling the >>> GetObject operation: Access Denied.

I understand that the current boto3 implementation does not support restore
from Glacier storage.

changing the target url, changes '--archive-dir' path, so a new one needs to be
downloaded. that's halfway to a restore on a different machine.
According to the man page, the manifest file is always stored in standard class.

yes, because only them are needed for a successful incremental if archive-dir
is intact.

However, the sigtar file is stored in Glacier class when the option
s3_use_clacier is set.
The error is gone when the sigtar file is manually restored to standard class.

that's indeed needed. check the comment in the backend source
https://gitlab.com/duplicity/duplicity/-/blob/main/duplicity/backends/s3_boto3_backend.py#L31-43
I assume that the storage class should be set explicitely for the sigtar file,
similar to the handling for the manifest in s3_boto3_backend.py:123++?
If this assumption is correct, I can raise a bug ticket for that problem.

i'd say it is a bit but not fully. a described above the sig is not strictly
needed and might become quite big over time as it is not split currently.

sunny regards ..ede/duply.net