Re: [Duplicity-talk] Strategy for recovering from corruption of back-up

From: andrew
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Strategy for recovering from corruption of back-up (was Re: Restoring from the last full backup (Re: Difficulties with restore: 'Could not restore the following files. Please make sure you are able to write to them.'))
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2021 11:14:35 +0000

hi edgar,

As I said previously:

Was a mail client or server running at the same time as the backup or>>> restore?

I don't know. How could I be sure? It could have been running but I don't know. The back-up is automated via Deja-vu and usually it starts as soon as I switch on the computer in the morning. That's my usual routine. At night or as soon as I've finished the session then I switch the computer off! ie unlike a server, it's not on all the time. My computer is a personal workstation - that's the use case.

Andrew: can you make sure the backup/files_mentioned were indeed
restored incompletely or corrupted.

I'd need to check each one of the files - there's about a dozen files corrupted - but certainly some are present but their content isn't there. ie the main mail folder is restored but only a few k bytes in size. (It was quite a big file.) When I open Thunderbird then it - the mail folder (inbox) isn't shown at all. I don't know the internal format of the mail files so I can't tell you what was retained in the back-up and what was lost.

What I don't know - as I haven't checked is - are any of the files/folders for Thunderbird missing. There is a list of files which could not be restored at the end of the attempted restore (the librsync errors as you say). I presumed that this was the complete list of files that failed to restore. Notably though, some of the folders for Thunderbird are restored correctly - which is appreciated. One must be grateful for small mercies!

Thanks.

Best wishes,

Andrew

Andrew Wood, Oxford.

- o -

Was a mail client or server running at the same time as the backup or>>> restore?

and

Andrew: can you make sure the backup/files_mentioned were indeed
restored incompletely or corrupted.
or
that the restore is actually interrupted! the log reads as if it
finishes, albeit librsync errors are printed!

thanks.. ede