Re: [Duplicity-talk] Restoring from the last full backup (Re: Difficulti

From: Jeffrey Walton
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Restoring from the last full backup (Re: Difficulties with restore: 'Could not restore the following files. Please make sure you are able to write to them.')
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2021 16:59:16 -0500

On Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 5:05 AM andrew via Duplicity-talk
<duplicity-talk@nongnu.org> wrote:

> How do I force duplicity to restore from the last full backup which it
> made? I can see the options for creating a new full back-up but not
> restoring it. Indeed, how do I find out when the last full backup was
> made.

To state the [non?] obvious, you have to know when the last full
backup was created. Then you can restore from that particular date.

To keep a "restore from full backup" simple, I use the following
recipe that runs each night. It performs a full backup on JAN 1, APR
1, JUL 1, and OCT 1:

# Determine if we need a full back. We do a full backup every three months.
day=$(date +%d)
if [ "${day}" = "01" ];
then
  month=$(date +%m)
  case ${month} in
    01|04|07|10)
      full_backup=full
      ;;
    *)
      ;;
  esac
fi

if [ -n "${full_backup}" ]; then
  echo "Performing a full backup"
fi

day=$(date +%d)
if [ "${day}" = "01" ];
then
  month=$(date +%m)
  case ${month} in
    01|04|07|10)
      full_backup=full
      ;;
    *)
      ;;
  esac
fi

if [ -n "${full_backup}" ]; then
  echo "Performing a full backup"
fi

if ! duplicity ${full_backup} --allow-source-mismatch
${exclude_opts[@]} ${root_drive} <sftp options>;
then
  echo "Failed to backup VM"
  exit 1
fi

The code above is slightly different than "every 90 days" since the
script always performs a full backup on the 1st. Because the full
backup is always on the 1st, it is easy to find when it comes time for
a restore.

Jeff