[Duplicity-talk] GnuPGInterface.py

From: Aaron
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] GnuPGInterface.py
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2020 21:12:43 +0100

Hello all,

Half of our current README is:

A NOTE ON GnuPGInterface.py AND MULTIPLE GPG PROCESSES: GnuPGInterface is used to access GPG from duplicity. The original works quite well and has no bugs, however, we have patched the one used in duplicity. Why? Duplicity is not perfect, yet, and has a problem when handling long chains of incremental backup or restore operations. The problem is that the waitpid() call only happens after all the iterations complete, and with a long chain, that can be a long while. Unless the waitpid() call is made, the child process remains active. Duplicity's GnuPGInterface is patched to start an immediate threaded waitpid() for each GPG task, thus harvesting the task and freeing it's resources in a timely manner. This does not affect the operation of duplicity, merely frees resources on time. Why the note? Some package maintainers remove duplicity's GnuPGInterface in error, obviously unknowing of this issue and patch duplicity to use the old unmaintained unpatched GnuPGInterface interface again. So, if you have the problem that lots of GPG tasks are hanging around, check and see if this has been done in your distro, and if so, report this matter as a bug to the distro or package maintainer. As of october 2012 we pull the handbrake and refactor our code and rename the class to gpginterface in the hope that package maintainers will stumble over it and stop this problematic behaviour for good.

Does anybody know if that is still valid? Looks as though it was last updated in October 2012.

Kind regards,

Aaron