Re: [Duplicity-talk] Move destination files to cold archive?

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Move destination files to cold archive?
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2019 12:31:33 +0200

On 05.10.2019 17:32, Kenneth Loafman via Duplicity-talk wrote:
> Unfortunately the upload is very slow and an initial backup will take
> weeks. Will duplicity still work flawlessly when interrupted multiple times
> per backup and be able to resume the same backup at exactly the right place?

it should, but i wouldn't advise it.

> My preferred solution would be to create a local duplicity backup (this
> will be fast and without interruption) and use an independant simple script
> to transfer all resulting files to a cold (cloud) archive and then delete
> all files that are copied (as I already have a local backup. I will keep
> the local archive directory, but will duplicity work correctly if I delete
> files at its "destination"? With the archive it should not be necessary to
> read remote files, but will the missing/invisible files cause any problems?

not sure if this is what you mean, but the following is the used workaround
used by some with slow unstable upload channels.

1. do a backup to a local file:// target
2. sync the local backup folder with the software of your choice (eg. rsync) to
a remote target

disadvantage: you need to keep the local backup completely (using additional
space)
advantage: you keep a backup on two different file systems

..ede/duply.net