[Duplicity-talk] Glacier, 2018 edition

From: Oliver Cole
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Glacier, 2018 edition
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2018 19:14:31 +0100

Hi,

I see discussion about Glacier in the archives, but nothing recently.

What's the current state of Duplicity + Glacier? Is anyone doing this for real?

Can duplicity manage the migration to Glacier for me, or do I need to setup bucket policies myself?

I'm somewhat new to duplicity - would I be configuring it to do incremental backups, and then a full backup every 100 days or so? Would that then result in the previous full+incrementals being deleted automatically?

What if I wanted to go 100% incremental (after the initial full)? Obviously I would be at risk of one corrupt backup breaking all the subsequent incrementals, but would that be a possible route if I was happy with the risk?

I'm not quite up on the duplicity terminology - but what are the situations where duplicity would need to retrieve metadata from Glacier (and hence incur some significant costs or time delay)? Is there a way to keep the metadata in S3 and only migrate the raw data to Glacier?

I've read the warning: https://medium.com/@karppinen/how-i-ended-up-paying-150-for-a-single-60gb-download-from-amazon-glacier-6cb77b288c3e It was updated to say that 'The “gotcha” pricing described herein is no longer in effect, replaced by simple per-GB retrieval fees.'
Are people generally happy with this now?

Oli