Re: [Duplicity-talk] Following up on an extended attributes question

From: Aaron
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Following up on an extended attributes question
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2017 22:53:11 +0100

Hello Arjun,

On 30/05/17 12:27, Kenneth Loafman via Duplicity-talk wrote:
Hi Arjun,

Glad you're willing to help.  The best (only) formal docs we have are at readthedocs, or in the docs directory, but those are incomplete.
In the hope of saving you a little time figuring out where to dive in, an extremely quick overview of the code base, largely from memory (so don't take as gospel) and assuming a full backup to keep it simple:
1. Start in bin/duplicity main()
2. Process commandline arguments in duplicity/commandline ProcessCommandLine
2.a. parse_cmdline_options() does what you would expect, though watch the globals.
2.b. Note the set_selection(), which doesn't really belong here, but triggers all the selection code in duplicity/selection (walking over the filesystem to see if files match the glob patterns etc that people have passed as --include/--exclude options).
3. bin/duplicity do_backup() to decide what type of backup (full, restore etc)
4. I believe bin/duplicity full_backup() then kicks off all the writing to signature and archive files, using the various backends.

Hopefully that helps. Anyone else feel free to jump in if I have anything wrong or misleading.

Kind regards,

Aaron