Re: [Duplicity-talk] old backups are not deleted

From: Scott Hannahs
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] old backups are not deleted
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2017 11:14:49 -0500

> On Mar 7, 2017, at 9:56 AM, Fazekas László via Duplicity-talk
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Thank you, I will change my scripts.

Going back to the original question.  Why do you think there was a full backup
on 2/25???  It seems that there were weekly full backups on 2/7, 2/14, 2/21 and
3/1.  Not sure why you jumped a day on the last one but they look weekly and
nothing on 2/25.  The collection status seems to show that all the older files
are being deleted.

I think it may be that the confusion is that you use a 2M time period.  A month
is an indistinct time unit and may be a canonical 30 days which is different
than the actual 31 or 28 leading to one extra backup set being retained.  For a
long as February is in the 2 month time window you may have that extra backup
if that is a big problem, use a fixed number of weeks if you do weekly backups
or do a fixed number of backups as suggested.  Months are just an ugly unit but
useful for those who keep astronomical time.

-Scott