Re: [Duplicity-talk] problems with decryption gpg times out

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] problems with decryption gpg times out
Date: Sat, 7 May 2016 11:22:05 +0200

On 06.05.2016 14:26, address@hidden wrote:
> Hi.  I am having a great deal of trouble resuming a backup.  When I
> started, (running as root), I changed the home directory to my actual
> user id, where the  gpg keys are, so I could use them for both
> encryption and decryption.  The backup process ended mysteriously and I
> tried to restart the thing.  First problem was it said unacceptable
> homedir -- I guess it was not owned by root -- so I imported the keys to
> root which I don't like, but what can you do.

you can use the gpg options --homedir, --keyring, --secret-keyring to point to
a non standard location

what's your issue to import a key into root's keyring if it is used by root as
well?

>So when I tried to
> restart, gpg complained inappropriate ioctl for device, after asking me
> for the pass phrase.  I am using a regular text console here and so I
> put an export of the pass phrase into a shell script, and now I get a
> gpg timeout, so I am stuck.  I am using duplicity 7.06 and kernel
> 4.1.17.

that's caused by the "passphrase into gpg 2.+" issue of your other email

> I even tried to generate a new key, but that did not work -- at least
> not after 5-7 minutes, not sure whether that would have done any guud,
> anyway.
>

> Any suggestions would be appreciated.

here's another one.. if you are tired of the gpg 2.1 hassle simply use the
latest gpg 2.0 or 1.4

..ede/duply.net